How to Create a Terrific LinkedIn Profile in 5 Easy Steps
Learn how to get noticed on the world's largest online business network!
If you’re in business, chances are a customer will check out your LinkedIn profile before making contact with you.
With hundreds of millions of users, LinkedIn offers countless opportunities to make mutually rewarding connections online. But standing out in such a crowded platform can be challenging.
So, how can you get noticed? These 5 simple steps will help you get more views—and more bites—from intrigued prospects.
1. Fill in the fields – lots of them
● The more information you enter into your LinkedIn profile, the better, because it will show up in search. It takes time to add detail into to every field but you’ll get best results by making your profile as complete as possible. Add a full description about you, provide lots of background, and add plenty of work or business experience. Add projects, too. And expect to come back later to fill in more even more details.
● Include keyword phrases in your 2,000 word summary to make it easy for potential customers to find you. Consider using bullet points to make it easier for visitors to read. You can even add videos.
2. Build trust with a head shot and recommendations
● Upload a professional head shot. Profiles with a picture get more views, while those with no picture suggest a lack of professionalism. Hire a photographer or ask a friend with a decent camera to take a picture of you.
● Request recommendations from current and former customers to add content to that section.
3. Provide lots of material about what you do
● Include multimedia in your profile. Images, videos, publications—even a screenshot of a testimonial page from your website—will increase interest and credibility.
● Add recent projects to showcase work you’ve done for customers and sample links.
4. Share your volunteer experience
● Be sure to include any past or present volunteer work. It shows how committed you are to your community and important causes.
5. Publish content.
● Use LinkedIn publisher to create articles or post blogs. It’s incredible easy to do. Published posts show up in your LinkedIn feed and your connections will notice you more often.
● Also, be sure to spend time every day reading other people’s posts and contribute a share, like or comment.
● Stay engaged with your community by joining LinkedIn groups relevant to your industry.
● If you see an article that may interest your LinkedIn connections, share it on your LinkedIn feed.
Keeping your profile up to date on LinkedIn can be a great asset to your business because it helps to promote your professionalism and your business – and LinkedIn never sleeps – so customers, prospective customers, suppliers, colleagues and potential employees can see your terrific profile night or day.
Be sure to return often to update your LinkedIn profile with new accomplishments, new activities, awards, and news. Current information attracts eyeballs and makes visitors want to work with you.